To content
State benefits

Financial support for student families

Reconciling studying and raising children is not only a major challenge for many students in terms of organizing their studies, but also often raises questions about financing this new phase of life. Basically, there are different financial support options for parents with children. This page provides an overview of the financial framework for families. More detailed information on the individual financial aids is provided by the respective counseling centers on campus and in the city of Dortmund.

Pictured are three coin towers and to the right is a full of coins. From each coin tower and from the glass grows a small tree. © Pixabay

With the help of the Family information tool from the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs (BMFSFJ), you can quickly find out which financial benefits or assistance you and your family are entitled to. The BMFSFJ's family portal provides a good overview of family benefits in different life situations. The BMFSFJ service hotline can answer specific questions: +49 (0)30 201 791 30

We have compiled the most important financial assistance offers on this page:

Overview of financial benefits

Maternity benefits compensate for lost income if mothers are not allowed to work during their pregnancy or after the birth of their child, for example during maternity protection periods.

Maternity benefits include

It is important for student mothers to know:

  • Student mothers who are employed and have voluntary or compulsory statutory health insurance can apply to their health insurance fund for maternity benefit, which is paid during the protection periods before and after childbirth.
  • Student mothers who are not themselves members of a statutory health insurance fund (insured as a spouse/life partner or as a child with family insurance through their parents) but are marginally employed receive maternity benefit totaling up to 210 euros from the Federal Social Security Office and, if applicable, a supplement to the maternity benefit from the employer.

Parental allowance compensates for lost income due to parental leave. In this way, parental allowance helps to secure the financial livelihood of families.

The amount depends on income in the last 12 months before the birth of the child and averages around 65% of net income. Parents with a low income receive up to 100% of the lost net income. Parental allowance is also paid if there was no previous employment. This means that students can also receive parental allowance.

There are three types of parental allowance: Basic Parental Allowance / Parental Allowance Plus / Partnership Bonus: Basic parental allowance can be claimed in the first 14 months of the child's life if both parents apply for parental leave. Both parents can freely divide the period between them, whereby one parent can receive parental allowance for a minimum of 2 months and a maximum of 12 months. If only one parent applies for parental allowance, a maximum of 12 months of parental allowance can be claimed. Anyone who works more than 32 hours per week is not entitled to parental allowance.

The parental allowance calculator and planner on the family portal of the Federal Ministry of Family Affairs helps you to calculate how much parental allowance you are likely to be entitled to without any obligation.

You can find a detailed overview of the parental allowance regulations on the Family Portal of the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs.

All children are entitled to child benefit regardless of their parents' income. It is paid monthly by the family benefits office of the Federal Employment Agency. Child benefit can also be paid to young adults between the ages of 18 and 25 if they are still in (vocational) training. You can find out more about this under Child benefit for children in training.

The current amount paid and further information can be found on the Employment Agency website. The application can be made online after the birth.

The service hotline of the family benefits office is available on +49 (0)800 4 5555 30 (toll-free).

As a supplement to child benefit, parents with a low income can apply for child supplement if they have enough income for themselves but this does not cover the family's entire needs. The child supplement guide of the Federal Ministry of Family Affairs helps to determine whether an entitlement exists.

Federal Employment Agency

Housing benefit is available to anyone who is unable to afford suitable housing on their own due to their income situation. You must apply for housing benefit in writing to your housing benefit authority. You will also find the application forms there and can obtain advice. Housing benefit is not paid retrospectively, but from the month in which the application was made. If you receive other social benefits that already take your housing costs into account, you cannot normally receive housing benefit.

The amount of housing benefit depends on

  • the number of people living in the apartment
  • the monthly income of the people living in the apartment and
  • the amount of rent.

If you have a low income, you can also apply for a Wohnberechtigungsschein (WBS). With a WBS, you can prove that you are entitled to move into social housing. Social housing is subsidized with public funds. You can also apply for a WBS at your housing benefit office.

Housing benefit office Dortmund

Children who live with a single parent and receive no or no regular maintenance from the other parent are entitled to maintenance advance.

There is no income limit for the single parent. A court decision on maintenance against the other parent is not required. If the other parent is fully or partially able to pay maintenance, the state will claim the amount of the maintenance advance paid.

The following applies:

  • Up to the age of 12 (12th birthday), children can receive advance maintenance payments without any time limit.
  • Children aged between twelve and 18 (18th birthday) can also receive maintenance advance. The prerequisite for this is that they are not dependent on benefits under the Second Book of the German Social Code (SGB II) or that the single parent in receipt of SGB II benefits earns at least 600 euros gross.

Maintenance advance fund

The Federal Foundation "Mother and Child - Protection of Unborn Life" was established to provide unbureaucratic assistance to pregnant women in emergency situations and to make it easier for them to continue their pregnancy. The foundation provides assistance in financially difficult situations for expenses related to pregnancy and childbirth, such as maternity clothing and initial equipment for the child. There is no legal entitlement to this support, the benefits depend on the respective emergency situation and are income-dependent.

The requirements for assistance are

  • a financial emergency
  • an existing pregnancy
  • advice from a pregnancy advice center and an application for help from the Federal Foundation before the birth
  • Residence or habitual abode in Germany

Applications for assistance can be submitted to the Dortmund pregnancy advice centers up to the 20th week of pregnancy.

TU Dortmund University students who are in temporary financial need through no fault of their own can apply for a loan from the TU Dortmund University AStA aid fund . It is not possible to support entire families, but only one applicant can be granted the help they need. The loan is always interest-free and can be repaid in small installments. The Aid Fund Committee decides on the repayment modalities. Repayment must begin after 6 months at the latest with a minimum installment of €25 per month.

The application can be downloaded online or collected from the AStA. If possible, the completed application should be handed in personally at the Hilfsfond office. A copy of the last three months' bank statements for all accounts should be attached to the application. The person submitting the application must attend the aid fund meeting. Missing documents relating to the application can be brought to the meeting. A meeting is held every two weeks at which the committee decides whether and to what amount the loan will be granted.

The Central Student Advisory Service offers consultation hours .

Information on scholarships at TU Dortmund University

All students subject to social security contributions within the area of responsibility of the Studierendenwerk Dortmund can apply for a one-off grant for baby equipment. This must be done before the child reaches the age of one. The prerequisite is the existence of need.

More information is available at the Info-Point on Campus North or on the Student Union website.

The colleagues at the Office for Educational Support (Service Center for Student Funding of the Studierendenwerk) are available to provide advice and assistance.

General questions about BAföG can be directed to the free BAföG hotline of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research. Your extension: Tel: +49 (0)800 / 223 63 41.

There are also special regulations for students with children.

Further information

As a rule, students are not entitled to citizen's allowance, as they can primarily receive BAföG. They only receive citizen's allowance (formerly unemployment benefit II) in special circumstances.

Find out more on the website of the Deutsches Studierendenwerk (German Student Union).