To content
Informative & helpful


Students and employees with children are not only faced with the challenge of balancing studies or career and family, but also of securing their own and their child's livelihood.

There are some financial support options for parents with children, which are outlined here. More detailed information on the individual financial aids is provided by the counseling centers on campus and in Dortmund.

a boy throws coins into his piggy bank. © Pixabay

The Federal Foundation "Mother and Child - Protection of Unborn Life" was established to provide unbureaucratic assistance to pregnant women in emergency situations and to make it easier for them to continue their pregnancy. The foundation can help primarily with the initial equipment of the child, the continuation of the household, housing and furnishings, and the care of the child.

The amount and duration of assistance depend on the particular circumstances of the personal emergency. Prerequisites for assistance are:

  • a financial emergency
  • an existing pregnancy
  • counseling by a pregnancy counseling center and application there for assistance from the Federal Foundation prior to childbirth
  • residence or habitual abode in Germany

Applications for assistance can be made up to the 20th week of pregnancy at the pregnancy counseling centers in Dortmund:

Klosterstraße 8-10
44135 Dortmund
Tel.: +49 231 99 34-2 22

Donum Vitae
Betenstraße 1
44137 Dortmund
Tel.: +49 231 1 76 38 74

Propsteihof 10
44137 Dortmund
Tel.: +49 231 18 48-2 20

More info about the foundation

After the birth of the child, parents can apply for child benefit for their child in the amount of 219 euros for the first two children, 225 euros for the third child and 250 euros from the fourth child onwards (standard amount 2021).

Applications are submitted to the family benefits office of the employment agency.

The parental allowance replaces 65% or 67% of the previous income of the parent raising the child, but amounts to a maximum of 1,800 euros. Parental allowance can be claimed during the first 14 months of the child's life. Both parents are free to divide the period between themselves, whereby one parent can receive parental allowance for a minimum of 2 months and a maximum of 12 months. There is a basic amount of 300,- Euro per month, independent of income. Those who work more than 30 hours per week are not entitled to parental allowance. For students, this usually means a parental allowance of 300 euros per month.

Further information on parental allowance is available from the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs.

Parents are entitled to a child supplement for their unmarried children under the age of 25 with whom they live in the same household if

  • they receive child benefit for these children,
  • the monthly income of the parents reaches a minimum income limit,
  • the income and assets to be taken into account do not exceed the maximum income limit
  • the family's needs are covered by the payment of the child supplement and thus there is no entitlement to ALG II/social welfare benefits (additional needs are excluded from this).

The amount of the child supplement is a maximum of € 205 per month for each child living in the household. The parents' income to be taken into account must be in the range between the minimum income limit and the maximum income limit. For parent couples, this limit is €900, and for single parents it is €600.

More about the child benefit supplement


Mothers who are in employment and are voluntarily or compulsorily insured in the statutory health insurance fund can apply to your health insurance fund for maternity benefits, which are paid during the protection periods before and after childbirth. The Federal Insurance Office is responsible for maternity benefits for employees with family insurance or private health insurance.

More information

Housing allowance is available to all those who are unable to finance adequate housing on their own due to their income situation.
Applications can be made at the Bürgerdienste, in each case at the responsible district administration office of the city of Dortmund.

Contact the housing allowance office in Dortmund

Further information on the subject of housing benefit

Children who live with a single parent and receive no or no regular maintenance from the other parent are entitled to advance maintenance payments.

There is no income limit for the single parent. A court decision on maintenance against the other parent is not required. If the other parent is fully or partially able to pay, he or she will be claimed by the state in the amount of the advance maintenance payment made.

It applies:

  • Up to the age of 12 (12th birthday), children can receive advance maintenance payments without any time restrictions.
  • Children between the ages of 12 and 18 (18th birthday) can also receive advance maintenance payments. The prerequisite for this is that they are not dependent on benefits under Book II of the Social Code (SGB II) or that the single parent in receipt of SGB II benefits earns at least 600 euros gross.

Amount of the advance on maintenance payments

The amount of the advance on maintenance payments depends on the age of the children and, since January 1, 2021, amounts to the following per month:

  • for children from 0 to 5 years up to 174 euros,
  • for children from 6 to 11 years up to 232 Euro,
  • for children from 12 to 17 years up to 309 Euro