To content
Informative & helpful


Students and employees with children are not only faced with the challenge of balancing studies or career and family, but also of securing their own and their child's livelihood.

There are some financial support options for parents with children, which are outlined here. More detailed information on the individual financial aids is provided by the counseling centers on campus and in Dortmund.

a boy throws coins into his piggy bank. © Pixabay

The Federal Foundation "Mother and Child - Protection of Unborn Life" was established to provide unbureaucratic assistance to pregnant women in emergency situations and to make it easier for them to continue their pregnancy. The foundation can help primarily with the initial equipment of the child, the continuation of the household, housing and furnishings, and the care of the child.

The amount and duration of assistance depend on the particular circumstances of the personal emergency. Prerequisites for assistance are:

  • a financial emergency
  • an existing pregnancy
  • counseling by a pregnancy counseling center and application there for assistance from the Federal Foundation prior to childbirth
  • residence or habitual abode in Germany

Applications for assistance can be made up to the 20th week of pregnancy at the pregnancy counseling centers in Dortmund:

Klosterstraße 8-10
44135 Dortmund
Tel.: +49 231 99 34-2 22

Donum Vitae
Betenstraße 1
44137 Dortmund
Tel.: +49 231 1 76 38 74

Propsteihof 10
44137 Dortmund
Tel.: +49 231 18 48-2 20

More info about the foundation

Child benefit is a state benefit and is awarded regardless of the parents' income. After the birth of the child, parents can apply for child benefit for their child. The application is submitted to the family benefits office of the employment agency. Applications are submitted to the family benefits office of the employment agency.

International students who do not have German citizenship please note the following:
It is important to distinguish between citizens from EU countries and those from non-EU countries. Those who come from an EU country, Switzerland or a country from the EEA have the same requirements for receiving parental allowance as German citizens: employment or residence in Germany are required. Thus, the entitlement also exists if one works in Germany but lives in another EU country or Switzerland. Different rules apply if you come from a non-EU country: Those who can prove that they are pursuing a job in Germany and have a permanent contract, or those who have a residence permit or a settlement permit, may also apply for parental allowance. The decisive factor is therefore, above all, gainful employment in Germany as well as the right of residence. Due to an association agreement with Germany, however, people from Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria or Turkey are not entitled to parental allowance regardless of their residence permit, but they must be insured in a social insurance scheme.


The parental allowance replaces 65% or 67% of the previous income of the parent raising the child, but amounts to a maximum of 1,800 euros. Parental allowance can be claimed during the first 14 months of the child's life. Both parents are free to divide the period between themselves, whereby one parent can receive parental allowance for a minimum of 2 months and a maximum of 12 months. There is a basic amount of 300,- Euro per month, independent of income. Those who work more than 32 hours per week are not entitled to parental allowance. For students, this usually means a parental allowance of 300 euros per month.

Further information on parental allowance is available from the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs. You might want to have a look at this website from Simple Germany, where you will find an english Guide of "Elterngeld"

Parents are entitled to a child supplement for their unmarried children under the age of 25 with whom they live in the same household if

  • they receive child benefit for these children,
  • the monthly income of the parents reaches a minimum income limit,
  • the income and assets to be taken into account do not exceed the maximum income limit
  • the family's needs are covered by the payment of the child supplement and thus there is no entitlement to ALG II/social welfare benefits (additional needs are excluded from this).

The amount of the child supplement is a maximum of € 205 per month for each child living in the household. The parents' income to be taken into account must be in the range between the minimum income limit and the maximum income limit. For parent couples, this limit is €900, and for single parents it is €600.

More about the child benefit supplement


Mothers who are in employment and are voluntarily or compulsorily insured in the statutory health insurance fund can apply to your health insurance fund for maternity benefits, which are paid during the protection periods before and after childbirth. The Federal Insurance Office is responsible for maternity benefits for employees with family insurance or private health insurance.

More information

Housing allowance is available to all those who are unable to finance adequate housing on their own due to their income situation.
Applications can be made at the Bürgerdienste, in each case at the responsible district administration office of the city of Dortmund.

Contact the housing allowance office in Dortmund

Further information on the subject of housing benefit

Children who live with a single parent and receive no or no regular maintenance from the other parent are entitled to advance maintenance payments.

There is no income limit for the single parent. A court decision on maintenance against the other parent is not required. If the other parent is fully or partially able to pay, he or she will be claimed by the state in the amount of the advance maintenance payment made.

It applies:

  • Up to the age of 12 (12th birthday), children can receive advance maintenance payments without any time restrictions.
  • Children between the ages of 12 and 18 (18th birthday) can also receive advance maintenance payments. The prerequisite for this is that they are not dependent on benefits under Book II of the Social Code (SGB II) or that the single parent in receipt of SGB II benefits earns at least 600 euros gross.

All students subject to social security contributions within the area of responsibility of the Studierendenwerk Dortmund can apply for a one-time grant for infant equipment. This must be done before the child reaches the age of one. The prerequisite is the existence of need.

The application is available here:

  • Info-Point TU Dort­mund University
  • Ralf Unruh (Studierendenwerk): Telephone: +49 231 755 5698

Studierendenwerk Dortmund



Beim BAföG gibt es für Stu­die­ren­de mit Kindern be­son­de­re Re­ge­lung­en zu beachten. 

Weitere Infos

Students of TU Dortmund University who are in temporary financial need through no fault of their own can apply for a loan from the assistance fund of the AStA of TU Dortmund University. It is not possible to support entire families, but only one applicant can be granted the necessary assistance. The loan is always interest-free and can be repaid in small installments. The Assistance Fund Committee decides on the repayment modalities. In any case, after 6 months at the latest, the repayment must start with a minimum installment of 25 € per month.

The application can be accessed online or picked up at the AStA. If possible, the completed application should be handed in personally at the Hilfsfond office. Copies of the last three months' bank statements for all accounts should be attached to the application. It is mandatory that the person submitting the application attend the Auxiliary Fund meeting. Missing documentation on the application may be brought to the meeting. A meeting is held every two weeks at which the committee decides whether and in what amount the loan will be awarded.

Contact: Telephone. +49 231  755 5892 or via E-Mail

AStA TU Dortmund

The central study advising offers consultation regarding scholarships.

Information and counseling


To event list

Location & approach

The campus of TU Dort­mund Uni­ver­sity is located close to interstate junction Dort­mund West, where the Sauerlandlinie A 45 (Frankfurt-Dort­mund) crosses the Ruhrschnellweg B 1 / A 40. The best interstate exit to take from A 45 is “Dort­mund-Eichlinghofen” (closer to South Cam­pus), and from B 1 / A 40 “Dort­mund-Dorstfeld” (closer to North Cam­pus). Signs for the uni­ver­si­ty are located at both exits. Also, there is a new exit before you pass over the B 1-bridge leading into Dort­mund.

To get from North Cam­pus to South Cam­pus by car, there is the connection via Vo­gel­pothsweg/Baroper Straße. We recommend you leave your car on one of the parking lots at North Cam­pus and use the H-Bahn (suspended monorail system), which conveniently connects the two campuses.


TU Dort­mund Uni­ver­sity has its own train station (“Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät”). From there, suburban trains (S-Bahn) leave for Dort­mund main station (“Dort­mund Hauptbahnhof”) and Düsseldorf main station via the “Düsseldorf Airport Train Station” (take S-Bahn number 1, which leaves every 15 or 30 minutes). The uni­ver­si­ty is easily reached from Bo­chum, Essen, Mülheim an der Ruhr and Duis­burg.

You can also take the bus or subway train from Dort­mund city to the uni­ver­si­ty: From Dort­mund main station, you can take any train bound for the Station “Stadtgarten”, usually lines U41, U45, U 47 and U49. At “Stadtgarten” you switch trains and get on line U42 towards “Hombruch”. Look out for the Station “An der Palmweide”. From the bus stop just across the road, busses bound for TU Dort­mund Uni­ver­sity leave every ten minutes (445, 447 and 462). Another option is to take the subway routes U41, U45, U47 and U49 from Dort­mund main station to the stop “Dort­mund Kampstraße”. From there, take U43 or U44 to the stop “Dort­mund Wittener Straße”. Switch to bus line 447 and get off at “Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät S”.


The AirportExpress is a fast and convenient means of transport from Dort­mund Airport (DTM) to Dort­mund Central Station, taking you there in little more than 20 minutes. From Dort­mund Central Station, you can continue to the uni­ver­si­ty campus by interurban railway (S-Bahn). A larger range of in­ter­na­tio­nal flight connections is offered at Düsseldorf Airport (DUS), which is about 60 kilometres away and can be directly reached by S-Bahn from the uni­ver­si­ty station.


The H-Bahn is one of the hallmarks of TU Dort­mund Uni­ver­sity. There are two stations on North Cam­pus. One (“Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät S”) is directly located at the suburban train stop, which connects the uni­ver­si­ty directly with the city of Dort­mund and the rest of the Ruhr Area. Also from this station, there are connections to the “Technologiepark” and (via South Cam­pus) Eichlinghofen. The other station is located at the dining hall at North Cam­pus and offers a direct connection to South Cam­pus every five minutes.


The facilities of TU Dort­mund Uni­ver­sity are spread over two campuses, the larger Cam­pus North and the smaller Cam­pus South. Additionally, some areas of the uni­ver­si­ty are located in the adjacent “Technologiepark”.

Site Map of TU Dort­mund Uni­ver­sity (Second Page in English).